There are considerable costs involved in providing RDA activities and looking after the horses. The Cambs College Group works hard to ensure that as few of these costs as possible have to be met by the riders, and benefits from the goodwill of other members of the equestrian community.
Despite a limited budget, each year the group provides:
- Weekly riding in term time throughout the year in a well-lit indoor arena
- Safe, healthy and happy horses to ride
- Specialist equipment e.g. adapted tack
- High quality coaching by trained volunteer instructors
- Opportunities to test skills through proficiency awards
- A small army of trained, knowledgeable and friendly volunteers for leading, sidewalking, mounting help and general heavy lifting!
- Competitive opportunities from local competitions to the National Championships...
- ...and huge amounts of fun!
As well as providing opportunities to riders, the RDA offers personal and professional development for volunteers:
- Young volunteers can use their experience towards the Pony Club RDA Achievement Badge, the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme or the Youth Equestrian Leaders Award.
- Older volunteers can work towards coaching qualifications in general RDA activities and/or specific disciplines.
- Much training is done 'in house' when volunteers first start helping out. It takes time and patience to train an RDA volunteer!